Step 1: The Infamous Untitled
Open Google Drive and search for any untitled doc, sheets, slides, etc. Rename the items or move to the trash. To rename an item, right click and select rename.
|How to Rename a File|
Step 2: Create Folders
Have students create a general folder for this school year. For example, 2016-2017 or their grade.
- Open the folder up with a double-click.
- Create sub-folders for each subject, if desired.
- Drag and drop work into each subject folder or move the file
How to move files in Google Drive
- Add a color to your folder(s) if you choose. Pay attention to the awesome names of each color like Slime Green or Macaroni!
How to Change a Folder Color
- Empty the trash in Google Drive
|Tip: Select a range of files using Shift + Click or specific files using CTRL or Command + Click|
Step 3: Organize Google Classroom Folder in Drive
Many students often forget that they have a classroom folder in Google Drive. Now that I have completed my third year as a teacher using Google Classroom, I like to organize my folders within Classroom. Students could do the same OR move their work out and into their previously created folder (See Step 2).
- Create a folder for the year, 2016-2017 Classes or the year in school. For example, 8th Grade.
- Select class folders and drag into the newly created folder.
Step 4: If it isn't archived, unenroll!
August or even September hits and you, the student notices that your teacher(s) has not removed or archived their class and you are still enrolled. No worries! You can unenroll yourself and make that "tile" disappear! You will still have your work in your Google Drive Classroom folder.
|How to unenroll yourself from a class.|
Step 5: I'm Moving, Graduating or Changing Districts
No worries, Google has you covered. Google Transfer helps G Suite districts by easily copying and moving your email and Google Drive files.
Google Transfer is for you! It will make a copy and transfer it to your new Gmail account. Make sure all of your content transferred. (See comment on this post below)
Want to move your items to a new Gmail or Google Account?
Want to create an archive of your data?
Google Takeout will export the data you choose into a zip file.